Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It Starts Somewhere Doesn't It?

You know when you start something big and inevitably you either say to yourself or someone else says, "well, you gotta start somewhere." This blog is probably a long time overdue. I've been running off and on since I was about 12-13 years old when I joined cross-country for the first time. My dad had been a triathlete when was really young and I think he wanted some running buddies - so my brother, sister and I all became runners. After running competitively through the first couple years of high school, other interests of mine took over and so I stopped running for a good 6 year period of time between junior year of high school through college. It is now that I look back and wish that I would have stuck with it...it certainly would have been a whole lot easier to keep running instead of stopping and then getting back into it. Anyway, shortly after college ended, I got a job that afforded me an hour and a half lunch break. I decided to turn that time into something useful and so I started running again and have been running consistently now for about 5 years. About a year ago or so, I broke both bones in my left arm playing softball and that was the catalyst for me devoting all of my time to running and over the course of the last year, I've gotten serious about it.

I've been sitting on the sidelines of the running discussion for the past several months. I've joined Daily Mile which I have come to love as a community of runners, I've been a regular reader of a number of running blogs, I've gotten through about half of Jack Daniels' "Daniels' Running Formula" book, I've joined the racing circuit again (so far I've done two 5Ks and a 10Kwith another 5K this coming weekend) and I've just been trying to take everything in. I'm not starting this blog because I think I have some new-fangled knowledge to drop on everyone, I simply want to participate in the discussion and be a support to my fellow runners out there. Speaking of fellow runners, my wonderful wife just started running about a year ago and she has been an inspiration. She's like me in that she wants to see instant improvement all the time, but I think she's come a long way in the last two years and I couldn't be happier that she is a runner.

This blog will likely be a compilation of workout discussion, race reports and interesting stuff I find around the interwebs. If you like something, disagree with something, have a suggestion for something or just wanna say something, please comment away!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Adam! I, too, just started blogging. Last week, I think. ;) I find that it's a good place to drop some words when I need to. Sometimes a few. Sometimes WAY too many. But, they are my words. People can choose to read them or not. I look forward to reading yours as well as following your return to running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,
    I'm glad to see that you've started a running blog. I look forward to reading about your experiences. I recently hit 1,000 posts and now have a history of my running experience that's broader than the metrics captured by my Garmin. Before you know it you'll have a journal to help you remember the good stuff and the other stuff. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for encouragement Andrea and TER! I've enjoyed reading both of your blogs as well so now it's my turn to give back!

    ReplyDelete